Poll: Next big "green" powertrain
What will be the next big "green" powertrain in the U.S.?
Volvo begins Series Production of Hybrid Buses
Following several years of field testing, Volvo Buses will begin production of its Volvo 7700 Hybrid and the double-decker Volvo B5L Hybrid buses for European sales.The 12-meter Volvo 7700 Hybrid bus is now being built in the company’s plant in Wroclaw, Poland and the chassis for the double-decker Volvo B5L Hybrid will be built in Borås, Sweden. The coaches for the double-deckers will be built by Wrightbus in Northern Ireland.
The 7700 Hybrid and double-decker B5L Hybrid will reduce fuel consumption and carbon emissions by up to 35 percent, the company said.
Volvo’s hybrid buses have a smaller diesel engine than normal and an electric engine that can operate the bus independently or jointly. When the bus brakes, the brake energy is utilized and stored in a battery, which then drives the electric engine when the bus accelerates again.
Volvo 7700 Hybrid Bus
Volvo B5L Hybrid Bus
Subscribe to the RSS feed or Follow Us on Twitter for more information on green cars, green car news & green car technologies.
- Geneva 2008: New Diesel Engines for Ford Mondeo, Ford S-MAX and Ford Galaxy
- MIT Scientists Find New Way to Generate Electricity
- SolarCity, Rabobank to Build Fast-Charge Electric Car Charging Corridor
- High Performance, 92 Mpg High Mileage 3 Wheel Sport Car
- 2007 Frankfurt Preview: Peugeot 308RC Z Concept Car