Poll: Next big "green" powertrain
What will be the next big "green" powertrain in the U.S.?
Mike and Maaike Designs Self-Driving Electric Concept Car
Mike and Maaike, the pair of designers who created Google's G1 phone has created the Autonomobile (ATNMBL), a concept for a self-driving, low-speed electric vehicle.”ATNMBL is our vision of a concept car for 2040 that represents the end of driving. Upon entering ATNMBL, passengers are presented with the question: Where can I take you?", said Mike and Maaike in their press release.
There is no steering wheel, brake pedal or drivers seat. ATNMBL drives by itself. About the size of that parking space you couldn't fit into, electric powered with wrap-around seating for seven, ATNMBL offers living comfort, views, conversations, entertainment, and social connectedness. The vehicle is designed from the inside out with elements influenced by architecture and domestic interior spaces.
Summary of Features:
- fully electric powered plus solar assist
- driverless navigation via GPS, Lidar, radar, stereo camera, accelerometers
- wrap-around seating for 7
- voice recognition and remote for real-time control/ input
- large display for info, searches, browsing, communication
- open-source software with downloadable apps for carpool and carshare through social networking, pre-loaded trips, city tours, virtual drivers, etc.
- live trip info on mini display
- electric door, standing height entryway
- all wheel drive with motors in each wheel
- very few mechanical parts (drive by wire)
The list of life-enriching benefits is long: accessibility for young, old, and disabled (no drivers licenses), no searching for parking (it will drop you off and park itself), fewer cars will serve more people, less energy use, people will save hours each day (think autonomous check-ups and grocery pickups). Most importantly, there will be far fewer fatalities and there will always be a designated driver.
Subscribe to the RSS feed for more information on green cars, green car news & green car technologies.
- Geneva 2008: New Diesel Engines for Ford Mondeo, Ford S-MAX and Ford Galaxy
- MIT Scientists Find New Way to Generate Electricity
- SolarCity, Rabobank to Build Fast-Charge Electric Car Charging Corridor
- High Performance, 92 Mpg High Mileage 3 Wheel Sport Car
- 2007 Frankfurt Preview: Peugeot 308RC Z Concept Car