Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Get New More Efficient Diesel Engines
Mercedes-Benz has updated its Sprinter lineup a new generation of diesel engines, new manual transmissions and numerous other features.
The Sprinter van is cleaner, more economical and more powerful than ever, with engines of exemplary efficiency.
The Sprinter uses a range of four cylinder and V6 diesel engines all with common rail injection systems and particulate filters for smoke free operation.
The new four-cylinder unit replaces a number of existing diesel engines. Thanks to its compact design, it can be mounted either longitudinally or transversely, which in turn means that it can be used in a variety of production series.
All the variants of the new engine already comply with the Euro 5 emission standard. This becomes mandatory for commercial vehicles above 3.5 t gross vehicle weight from the autumn, and will apply to commercial vehicles below this threshold in 2011.
Four-cylinder CDI: wide output range, three output classes
Three output variants of the new four-cylinder engine are available for the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter:
- 210 CDI/310 CDI/510 CDI: output 70 kW (95 hp) at 3800 rpm, max. torque 250 Nm at 1400-2500 rpm
- 213 CDI/313 CDI/413 CDI/513 CDI: output 95 kW (129 hp) at 3800 rpm, max. torque 305 Nm at 1200-2400 rpm
- 216 CDI/316 CDI/416 CDI/516 CDI: output 120 kW (163 hp) at 3800 rpm, max. torque 360 Nm at 1400-2400 rpm
Compared to its predecessor, the top engine variant now benefits from an eight percent increase in output and an increase of no less than ten percent in maximum torque.
V6 CDI: top model now even more powerful
The V6 OM 642 engine has been comprehensively developed further, with an unchanged displacement of 2987 cc. As the only six-cylinder unit installed in a van, it likewise now meets the Euro 5 emission standard. In addition to slight increase in output, it impresses with its ten percent increase in maximum torque. As the top-of-the-line engine for the Sprinter, the six-cylinder unit is available in one output class:
- 219 CDI/319 CDI/419 CDI/519 CDI: output 140 kW (190 hp) at 3800 rpm max. torque 440 Nm at 1400-2400 rpm
All of the engines are also compatible with B10 biodiesel.
Subscribe to the RSS feed for more information on green cars, green car news & green car technologies.
- Geneva 2008: New Diesel Engines for Ford Mondeo, Ford S-MAX and Ford Galaxy
- MIT Scientists Find New Way to Generate Electricity
- SolarCity, Rabobank to Build Fast-Charge Electric Car Charging Corridor
- High Performance, 92 Mpg High Mileage 3 Wheel Sport Car
- 2007 Frankfurt Preview: Peugeot 308RC Z Concept Car